Over the last few chapters in Exodus we have read about 10 plagues that God has called on Egypt.
Now if you’re like me, you’ve probably just thought these were just a series of weird plagues to annoy Pharaoh enough to “Let My people go.” But then I started thinking, God has a reason for everything. So why these 10 plagues? What’s the point? What is God trying to prove?
So I did some research and here’s what I learned:
Egyptians worshipped many “gods.” Each plague was crafted to target the gods of the Egyptians.
Here is a list of the plagues with “god(s)” that was targeted:
1. Nile turned to blood – Hapi (god of the Nile)
2. Frogs coming from the Nile – Heket (Egyptian goddess of birth and fertility. She was depicted as a woman with the head of a frog)
3. Gnats – Geb (god of the earth)
4. Flies – Khepri (god of creation and rebirth and was depicted as a man with the head of a fly)
5. Plague on Livestock – Hapi and Hathor (goddess of love were normally depicted as having the head of cattle)
6. Boils – Sekhmet (goddess with power over sickness and disease), Sunu (god of pestilence) Isis (goddess of health, medicine, and healing)
7. Hail and Fire – Nut (goddess of the sky), Set (god of storms)
8. Locusts – Osiris (god over the crops of the land of Egypt)
9. Darkness – Ra (god of the Sun and was considered the greatest of all the Egyptian deities)
10. Death of Firstborn – Pharaoh (was viewed as a “living god”, as was his son)
Why did God make these plagues happen? Well he tells us in chapter 10:
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his officials so that I may perform these signs of mine among them that you may tell your children and grandchildren how I dealt harshly with the Egyptians and how I performed my signs among them, and that you may know that I am the Lord.”
And in today’s chapter:
The Lord had said to Moses, “Pharaoh will refuse to listen to you—so that my wonders may be multiplied in Egypt.”
God wanted HIS signs and wonders to multiplied! He wanted everyone to know who He is for generations! He was making a statement. He is bigger, He is better, He is the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, He is the One True God! There are no other gods before him!
I invite you to dwell on that today. Dwell on the fact that God has the power to systematically bring down all other “gods.” He is a jealous God and He wants our attention. And guess what? He is worthy of our attention, worship, praise and adoration.
So let’s give it Him today.